Job ID 21246
Sector Machine Learning
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount
- Gym membership
- Tech scheme
We started Marshmallow when we found out how unfair insurance prices are for people who move to the UK. All because the industry hasn’t given this huge cohort of people a second’s thought, and isn’t set up to price them properly.
We saw an opportunity to do things differently, so we made it our mission to back the ones who step outside the norm. Since we started, we’ve helped 100,000s of people get a fairer deal on their car insurance. Using technology, we serve people that are often overlooked by financial services companies, solving important problems for people who need it most.
We know there are millions of marginalised customers out there. And we know that they face unique problems that most companies aren’t even aware of. We believe that our future is helping these people by learning about their experiences, and building our company around their needs. And there are strong signs that there’s a need for a company like us. Earlier this year we hit profitability, which is a huge milestone, but the most exciting thing is that we’re only just getting started.
How we work
We’re really proud of the culture we’ve created. We push for progress every day, because we know that we’ll only hit big milestones by taking lots of smaller steps. We’re always open to helping our team mates, sharing our ideas, experience and knowledge to solve problems together. We take risks, think creatively and experiment relentlessly to meet our customer’s needs, and never pass blame when things go wrong. We encourage people at all levels to take ownership of their work, and to be bold in challenging how we do things. Everyone has a voice and the opportunity to make an impact.
And autonomy and ownership are only possible with clear direction. That’s why we collaborate to do in-depth planning twice a year, and make sure we leave with clear goals and objectives that flow from top to bottom. To make sure we’re as aligned as possible across functions, most of our work rolls up into four tribes; Acquisition, Retention, Claims and Pricing, Underwriting & Fraud. Each tribe has multiple teams embedded in it, working cross-functionally to do great work.
We’re so excited for all of the challenges up ahead, and we need more people to help us tackle them! If life at Marshmallow sounds like it could be for you, explore our culture handbook or read our blog to find out more.
Machine Learning at Marshmallow
Our ML Eng team are critical to our ambition to continue to innovate and push the boundaries of how we assess risk, prevent fraud, offer customers unbeatable prices and how we as a business can maximise revenue and income. We’ve built an in-house platform, which we believe is one of a kind in insurance! The platform’s built with a bias for fast feedback loops, reliable and automated monitoring and training, self-service deployment by our analysts and data scientists using cost effective and performance optimised cloud workloads. This flexibility and speed is a massive competitive advantage for us and we want to continue to invest in this area, building a first-in-class platform and ultimately delivering a lot of value to the business.
What you’ll do:
- Technical lead for ML-Ops
- Maintain and develop our in-house ML Platform, including ML infrastructures and CI/CD pipelines, to support multiple data products and allow our data scientists to iterate on solutions and experiment as quickly and effectively as possible
- Provide engineering mentorship and guidance to data -scientists
- Collaborate with data scientists, data engineers, software engineers and product and operation teams
- Develop, integrate, and optimise end-to-end AI pipelines by a data-driven approach
- Line manage and coach a junior ML Engineer
- Deliver value to the business through the deployment of ML-based solutions across multiple areas such as pricing, fraud and claims
- Effectively communicate the value of the ML platform and incremental value of our deployed solutions to the business
- Own and deliver on the ML engineering roadmap
- Experience with Microservice architecture, Models as a Service and RESTful APIs
- Experience in developing production-level ML applications
- Experience with DevOps/ML Ops principles
- Hands-on experience in cloud ecosystems, such as AWS or GCP.
- Solid programming skills in Python or Java
Nice to Have
- Experience deploying ML models in a finance/fintech environment
- Experience with AWS SageMaker
- Experience in containerization, Kubernetes, and relevant distributed computing for training and inference
- Experience managing infrastructure through an infrastructure-as-code framework like Terraform
Perks of the job
- Flexible working – Spend 3 days a week with your team in our new collaborative London office, and own your own working hours. The rest is up to you *If this arrangement doesn’t work, don’t let it hold you back. We’re always open to making reasonable adjustments if this is a barrier to you in any way. Let us know and we’ll talk about our options
- Competitive bonus scheme – designed to reward and recognise high performance
- Flexible benefits budget – £50 per month to spend on a Ben Mastercard meaning you get your own benefits budget to spend on things you want. Whether that’s subscriptions, night classes (puppy yoga, anyone?), the big shop or a forest of houseplants. Pretty much anything goes
- Mental wellbeing support – Access therapy and mental health sessions through Oliva
- Learning and development – Personal budgets for books and training courses to help you grow in your role. Plus 2 days a year – on us! – to further your skillset
- Private health care – Enjoy all the benefits Vitality has to offer, including reduced gym memberships and discounts on smartwatches
- Medical cash plan – To help you with the costs of dental, optical and physio (plus more!)
- Tech scheme – Get the latest tech for less
Plus all the rest; 33 days holiday (including bank holidays), pension, cycle to work scheme, monthly team socials and company-wide socials every month!
Perm Interview Process:
- TA Screen with Luke , our TA Lead (45 mins)
- Past experience and Culture with Paul, our Head of Data Science (60 mins)
- Technical Interview with Weijian, ML engineer, and Marilia, PrincipalDataScientist (60 mins)
Everyone belongs at Marshmallow
At Marshmallow, we want to hire people from all walks of life with the passion and skills needed to help us achieve our company mission. To do that, we’re committed to hiring without judgement, prejudice or bias.
We encourage everyone to apply for our open roles. Gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or background does not affect how we process job applications.
We’re working hard to build an inclusive culture that empowers our people to do their best work, have fun and feel that they belong.