Job ID 21235
Sector Data Science
- Company pension
Job Title: Data Scientist
Job Type: Permanent
Location: This role could be based in either our Birmingham or Edinburgh offices with time spent working in the office and at home.
Closing Date: 8th November 2023
Salary and benefits: Negotiable salary, generous bonus, private medical cover, 38 days annual leave, excellent pension, 12x salary life assurance, career breaks, income protection, 3x volunteering days and much more
Flexible working: All of our roles are open to part-time, job-share and other types of flexibility. We will discuss what is important to you and balancing this with business requirements during the recruitment process.
Recruiter: Raj Johal
Who are we?
We want to be the best place that any of our 6,800 colleagues have ever worked.
We’re the UK’s largest long-term savings and retirement business. We offer our 12 million customers products across our market-leading brands, including Standard Life, SunLife and ReAssure, with c.£259 billion of assets under administration. We’re a FTSE 100 organisation that is tackling key issues such as transitioning our portfolio to net zero by 2050, and we’re not done yet.
We’re recruiting for a data scientist to be part of a growing team which develops advanced analytics, data science & AI solutions to solve business problems in a customer obsessed environment. At Phoenix, we realised that in order to deliver our growth ambition that this needs to be underpinned by a culture of learning, adapting and experimentation. We see these as core elements that underpin Data Science.
In this role, you will play a pivotal role in design, develop, and deploy data science solutions for a variety of problems. We are building to establish best and modern data science practices in our data science team to ensure we innovate at scale and speed.
You will work with a variety of business stakeholders as well as multiple teams within the Group Data Office including engineering, analytic, data platform and governance teams, on a variety of use cases that will stretch from ad-hoc advanced analytics solutions, small-scale bespoke dashboards to deploying machine learning models in production environment.
- Act as data domain subject matter expert to ensure specialist input is provided and influences business decision making.
- Build, develop and deploy data science solutions and is compliant with internal team best practices and procedures. Help to establish best practices, understanding and compliance
- Communicate effectively with business stakeholders, shape the narrative, providing clarity and comprehension of the solution
- Deliver appropriate data science solutions to stakeholders and work with stakeholders to establish with next steps
- Ensure compliance with relevant procedures and processes and maintain evidence/audit trail as required.
- Source and determine data availability e.g. internal, external, novel data sources
- Work with business units to gather requirements, propose and experiment with data science methodologies to solve the problem
Wrangle, manipulate and clean data from multiple data sources
What are we looking for?
- Degree in applied maths subject e.g. Data Science / AI, Statistics, Computer Science, Big Data, Engineering, Physics, Economics, Maths
- Has the natural curiosity for data as well as the passion to research and resolve real life problem with data and modern technologies.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively.
- Sound knowledge and experience of developing and deploying statistical and machine learning models (supervised and unsupervised)
- Essential – Python Expertise, SQL, Big Data (Spark), BI tool (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, QuickSight, Qlik)
Modern software development experience and toolkit e.g. Git, code reviews, Data Science CookieCutter, Environments, Docker, Feature Stores, CI/CD
- Design of experiments e.g. A/B/N, multi-variate, sample size calculation, (part/fractional) factorial designs
- Database, data warehouse or data lake experience to build SQL packages, processes, queries and tune data model for performance
- NoSQL, Network Graphics, Spark
- Cloud architecture e.g. AWS, MS Azure
We want to hire the whole version of you.
We are committed to ensuring that everyone feels accepted and welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If your experience looks different from what we’ve advertised and you believe that you can bring value to the role, we’d love to hear from you.
If you require any adjustments to the recruitment process, please let us know so we can help you to be at your best.
Find out more about #LifeAtPhoenix
- Guide for Candidates: thephoenixgroup.pagetiger.com/guideforcandidates
- Find or get answers from our colleagues: www.thephoenixgroup.com/careers/talk-to-us