Job ID 21139
Sector Data Analytics
- Car scheme
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount
- Paid volunteer time
- Work from home
Salary: From £40,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience
Contract: 12-month FTC
Location: Hybrid – flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We believe education and research improves lives, and technology improves education and research. Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
The team and the role:
Data analytics provides data-related services to members and customers which enrich the student experience, and advance higher and further education with powerful business intelligence and analysis. A key part of the Jisc strategy, we innovate to deliver the right data and analytics solutions for our customers’ needs, turning data into insights and increasing data, digital and analytical capability. The Data and content team is responsible for the business intelligence tools, data and dashboards our customers use to make critical decisions through our portfolio of national services (Heidi Plus and Tailored datasets) as well as the tools that help them assess their own digital maturity (Building digital capability, Digital experience insights).
We also support Data analytics innovation which holds a broad portfolio of products and services, content and platforms. The team includes a breadth of dedicated skills and expertise, is responsible for prototyping and delivering new data and content products as well as delivering, enhancing and maintaining existing products. Central to our approach is delivering value to our customers, ensuring we develop the right products at the right time on the right platforms.
This is a great opportunity to step up to work at national level in a cutting-edge team on a broad portfolio of data products for the UK education sector. You will provide in-house expertise and expert technical leadership, in the design & development of data analytics products that provide value to and delight our customers. You will join a relevant sub team (squad) contributing to a subset of our products, providing technical leadership (with a strong focus on Tableau and Alteryx), delivering against immediate needs, preparing yourself and the team for future direction. Implicit in our squad approach are opportunities to develop individuals and their roles through diversification of portfolio responsibilities.
The role is hybrid meaning much home based / remote working with the expectation of some travel to access our national network of outstanding and modern offices.
Responsibilities will include:
- Help to lead and influence the Data and content development team toward achieving excellence in customer experience, delivering data and insights through our product portfolio.
- Develop and bring to bear very strong knowledge of the national data landscape to inform product developments – including datasets and sources outside of the standard HESA data collections.
- Mentor and train other staff and colleagues, leading on Tableau and Alteryx, but including various across aspects of our in house ‘Skills tree’ covering Agile/Scrum, co-design, data, data manipulation, data visualisation, NLP, programming, research methods, SQL and databases, statistics and machine learning as well as the use of, Power BI and data visualisation best practice
- Deliver product vision, manage stakeholders, and negotiate requirements
- Provide technical support to the Customer Success team in relation to complex user enquires relating to products
Key Skills and Experience:
- Experience in producing a wide range of high-quality dashboards, visualisations, reports and support materials to meet customer needs
- Expert experience of ETL tools such as Alteryx
- Expert knowledge of Tableau Desktop
- Ability to lead and coach a team of skilled data and analytics/ business intelligence resource
- Ability to converse and negotiate with staff at all levels – internally and externally to the business – in both technical and non- technical communications & presentations
Please refer to the job description for full details
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
- Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
- 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and an additional three closure days over Christmas
- A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions
- A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
- A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
- Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
- A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
- Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
- Financial well-being support
- Discounts on big-name high-street stores
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee recognition awards and travel loans
- Additional Flexible benefits include Holiday Buying, Healthcare Cashplan, Electric Car Lease Scheme and option to purchase SmartTech.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles – a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as soon as we can and aim to provide an update on your application within 4 weeks of receiving it. However, you may hear from us a lot sooner, so please keep an eye out for our emails or calls!
We advertised this role on 12/10/2023.