Job ID 21148
Sector Data Engineering
The National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) is funded by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC). We work in partnership with the NHS, universities, local government, other research funders, patients and the public.
The NIHR funds, enables and delivers world-leading health and social care research that improves people’s health and wellbeing and promotes economic growth. We are also a major funder of applied health research in low and middle income countries.
Reporting to our Data Analytics Manager, this is a fantastic opportunity to join the Data and Insight Team within LGC as a Data Engineer for up to 12 months. You will be the only Data Engineer in the team, so will be drawing on your professional experience and skills to review, recommend, and initiate implementation of innovations to enhance our data systems. This will enable colleagues in the Data and Insight Team, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Team and colleagues more widely across the organisation to use data to generate insight on the impact of our investment into health and social care research and to support more rapid responses to information requests.
For the duration of this fixed term post you will be an expert within the organisation, helping to set the agenda for effective use of data engineering to improve our processes. The ideal candidate would have experience in health and research funding or a strong track record in applying data engineering more broadly and an eagerness to learn about this sector.
- Review and and make recommendations to improve data infrastructure and SQL database structure
- Review and improve current ETL models (SSIS)
- Explore, design and develop processes and extraction routines (APIs etc) within Alteryx Server for acquiring data from external data sources
- Extract, collate, cleanse and migrate data that is not currently held in SQL database and develop Alteryx workflows within Alteryx Server to automate future data prep and cleaning
- Design data models and metadata systems to enable analysts to work more effectively with the data products we produce
- Develop clear instructional documentation to support ongoing maintenance of enhancements made to the data infrastructure
- Communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders of varying levels of seniority across the organisation
- Working across the organisation to understand need for data engineering to support organisational objectives
- Support the development of Data Analysts in good Data Engineering practice
- Recommendation of new analytical tools matching requirements and/or analytics strategy
Must have experience working with Alteryx
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar Analytical discipline
- Demonstrated experience working in Data Engineering or closely related roles
- Extensive, demonstrable experience of Structure Query Language (SQL)
- Demonstrable experience working with SSIS packages and Microsoft Visual Studio
- Experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS) for Data Engineering
- Good understanding of data warehousing concepts and ETL processes
- Knowledge of a programming language (e.g. C#, Java, Python)
- Experience with AGILE methodologies
- Demonstrated experience of writing effective technical documentation for lay audiences
- Excellent organisational skills, including effective prioritisation and the ability to achieve targets to deadlines
- Highly motivated self-starter – ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment, collaborate both internally and externally and provide guidance to managers and staff
- Excellent attention to detail
- Expertise deploying or writing bespoke algorithms to solve business challenges
- Knowledge of health or research funding
Why work for us?
Join our team and you’ll be working with an exceptional organisation who manage high quality health and care research for the benefit of patients and the public. NIHR is one of the UK’s largest funders of health and care research.
Salary & Benefits
- £ 54,500 to £57,500 PA
- Bonus – subject to company performance
- 25 days annual leave, plus public holidays (UK)
- Enhanced contributory pension scheme
- Life Insurance
- Benenden Healthcare
- Season Ticket Loan
- Laptop, IT equipment and remote IT support
NB: We offer a range of work life balance and family friendly, flexible working arrangements.
This is an office based, home working (hybrid) role with an expectation for all employees to attend our offices a minimum of 4 days a month, which might increase, subject to team requirements.
If you are interested in working with us and feel you have the appropriate background and skills, please apply with your CV, with the cover letter attached in the same document, explaining what you feel you could bring to the company, outlining your suitability for the role.
If you wish to make an informal enquiry about this position, please contact: email@example.com